This recipe is my hubby's! It is sooo good, and you would NEVER know that Tofu is in it! Seriously, we made it for family and didn't tell them to they were done eating it and they were surprised. Tofu is very healthy and is a great meat alternative!
- 1 pkg of firm tofu (wrapped in a dry towel for a few hours to soak out water)
- 1 small-medium onion-diced into bite size
- green, red, orange and yellow bell pepper (as much as you like, any color you like!)-diced into bite size
- 1 pkg of fresh mushrooms-diced into bite size
- 1 29oz tomato sauce
- 1 15oz black beans-drained
- 1 15 oz red kidney beans-drained
- 1 can bushes "chili starter" mild or texas
- 2 gloves of garlic
- 1 TBSP chili powder
- pinch salt & pepper
- 1/2 bottle of tiger sauce (near hot sauce, or substitute with a sweet hot sauce)
- 2 TBSP olive or veggie oil for cooking pan
Crumble drained tofu in large bowl. Mix tofu with tiger sauce, salt, pepper. Let sit 15-30 mins in fridge.
In large pot add olive oil, chopped onion and crushed garlic. Heat on low until onions are caramelized.
Add Red and black beans, chopped peppers and chopped mushrooms. (let simmer until mushrooms are tender
Add Chili starter and simmer for 5 minutes
Add large can of tomato sauce and chili powder, mix continuously and simmer on low
While pot is simmering take a large skillet and 2 TBSP olive oil, salt and pepper and add tofu mixture, cook for about 10 minutes on medium heat
Add tofu to chili pot, stir and let simmer for 10-15 minutes
Add more chili powder, spices and salt and pepper to taste if you think it needs more
Serve over white or brown rice, top with a dollop of sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese.